Pit Talk

"Hand holding" flash mob washed out by rain

The chilly weather of fall is the perfect opportunity to snuggle up with that special someone.

In honor of that sentiment, members of the local lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer community attempted a hand holding flash mob today in the Pit. Rainy weather kept all but eight away, but those who did come out said their spirits weren’t dampened by the weather.

UNC student Emma Phan led the small group in singing the Beatles song “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” She said she would like to feel more comfortable expressing herself on campus.

“Straight couples don’t get stares,” she said.

The demonstration relocated to the Student Union for about 10 minutes, said Junior Brittany McVeigh, treasurer of UNC’s Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Straight Alliance. She said the relocation was to make more people aware of them.

“It’s a visibility thing,” she said. “You see heterosexual couples holding hands all over campus. We want to break the barrier.”

Freshman Molly Patterson, who was watching the group in the union, said she supported their message.

“It’s not something that people are willing to talk about, so a public campaign is a good idea,” she said.