Pit Talk

Blue & White: Clef Hangers get some Tar Heel Swag

“I hold it down for my city, you know I be reppin’ Car-o-lina, Car-o-lina…”

Carolina’s oldest a capella group, The Clef Hangers, brought some new swag to UNC this week as their song Blue & White caught fire, playing across campus.

The beloved Clefs have given us yet another reason to love UNC with their school-spirited take on Wiz Khalifa’s Black and Yellow.

The remix was originally by Troop 41, but it only seems right that a group as iconic as the Clefs pay homage to the Blue and White. The Clefs changed up the words a little, giving it a little more of a Chapel Hill feel.

This isn’t the first time a group has done a remix to the song.

Lil Wayne did a version, Green and Yellow, as a tribute to the Green Bay Packers right before the Superbowl in February.

Fans for pretty much every professional sports team have done a version of the song for their favorite teams, like Red and Navy, an anthem for the New England Patriots.

But the Clefs’ “Blue & White” is undoubtedly the best. It might even be better than the original. (OK, I might be biased, but all Tar Heels should be.)

A song about our beautiful campus, town and student population can’t be a bad thing, and it hits YouTube with perfect timing, giving us something else to listen to while we are celebrating an advance to the Sweet 16 in the heat of March Madness.

“Here them haters talk/ but there’s nothin’ you can tell ‘em/ Just won a million got another million on the schedule/ Mia Hamm, Michael Jordan, Carolina deals/ Don’t like my girls in sneakers, prefer Tar Heels.”

Ahhh, don’t we all.

Chances are good you can hear the song live at the Clef Hangers’ Spring Concert: House Rules this Saturday, March 26 in Memorial Hall. You can show some Tar Heel Pride while also knocking out #84 on the UNC Bucket List.

The song is also on the Clef Hangers’ new album, House Rules, which will be released at the Spring Concert.

For more information about the concert, go to the Clefs’ website or follow them on Twitter.

For tickets, visit Memorial Hall’s website or stop by the box office Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Watch the video here: