Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #46: Attend a Zumba class

<p>Photo of a Zumba class by <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/schoeters/">Simon Schoeters</a>, via Flickr Creative Commons. </p>
Buy Photos

Photo of a Zumba class by Simon Schoeters, via Flickr Creative Commons.

UNC Bucket List is a weekly feature highlighting the 100 things students should attempt before they graduate. Check out the full bucket list and all previous Bucket List posts here.

Bucket List Item Number 46: Attend a Zumba class at the SRC or Rams Head

Tired of running on the treadmill like a hamster stuck in a wheel? I know I am, so I decided to switch up my workout routine by taking a Zumba class at Ram’s Head.

Cast aside your insecurities and get ready to shake your booty to the upbeat, Latin-infused techno music. Trust me, you’ll work up a sweat doing it!

The instructors take a few minutes in between the songs to show you some of the moves before blasting the music. The class focuses not so much on perfecting each dance move, but just moving in general.

While most of the music is Latin (which goes hand-in-hand with hip-shaking), there is also popular hip-hop music to really get your blood pumping.

There is a big variation in the number of calories burned — anywhere from 400 to 750 calories during an hour-long class. This variation is really dependent on how much you put into the moves and if you add the jumps and skips that the instructor does.

Undoubtedly, there will be certain awkward moments in every song where you mess up or forget which hip-shake comes after the merengue, but luckily no one notices. It does seem that many people are regulars to the class and remember the moves from week to week.

I highly recommend adding Zumba to spice up your regular workout schedule. The hour flies by, and I even found myself humming the infectious music a couple days later. See you there!

Click here to see the group exercise schedule and find out when Zumba classes are held.

They’re free and open to any fee-paying student with a OneCard, although you should get there early to nab a spot. Be sure to wear athletic clothes and bring a water bottle.