Pit Talk

UNC Bucket List #96: Go tie-shopping at Julian's

Bucket List Item Number 96: Peruse the ties for sale at Julian’s on Franklin

The first thing I had to do in order to complete this item on the bucket list was look up the word peruse to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into.

“Examine carefully or at length;” that’s what I thought. Examine ties carefully and at length?

I had passed by Julian’s many times on my way to YoPo, but I had never been inside.

The clothes in the windows always look really nice. Most days I have to force myself to change out of my pajamas into actual clothes and go to class, much less put on clothes that look like that, and I am currently in need of no ties, but hey, it couldn’t hurt to look, right?

When I first stepped inside, I didn’t see any ties, except for the one the nice gentleman who greeted me at the door was wearing, but I was very impressed by the new spring clothing.

In the second part of the store, the Carolina section, I saw a wide variety of Carolina ties — a very classy way to show school spirit I must say, but the most impressive ties were hiding even further into the store.

The ties on sale were fanned out in a circle on their very own table in every shade and pattern you could possible imagine. If you are in need of a tie to complete your perfect interview outfit, you can find one here. If you are in need of a tie, to match anything at all ever, this is the place to go.

Not a tie person? You can check out the wide variety of bow ties that Julian’s also has on display — they are equally unique.

Don’t worry fellow ladies, if you are like me and in no need of an actual tie, Julian’s offers a stripped clutch made of tie material that is a very charming way to take advantage of the look of tie, without actually wearing a tie.

If ties aren’t enough to draw you into this store, the Carolina memorabilia throughout the store is really something that all Tar Heels should see. I definitely understand now why this item is on the list.

After all, Dean Smith himself personally asked Alexander Julian to redesign the Carolina basketball uniforms before the 1991-1992 season. Julian’s is a part of Carolina History.