Pit Talk

11 things that happen when you come back to UNC after a summer abroad

So, you spent your summer abroad and now you've returned to the land of Bojangles'. Congrats! What I mean by congrats is I feel your pain. We spent this summer laying out at European beaches, drowning in Italian food and also studying! abroad! 

Here are ten things that definitely happened to you in these first couple of months back:

1. Your friends gave you weird looks that time you asked if they wanted to split a double bottle of wine at 2 p.m. on a Wednesday. But you did it anyway. No? Just me? Okay.

2. The dining hall ladies looked considerably frustrated when you told them "gracias" or "grazie" in the line. "Maybe they think I'm foreign!" "I look sooooo European today." Yeah that's definitely what happened.

3. You threw out the scale your mom bought you because weight is just a number #amirite! Contrary to all of the times you said "calories don't matter in Europe" or "this is my last pizza today," you came home feeling bloated and ashamed. It's okay. We understand. We're here for you.

4. You find yourself looking down at the people who still order frozen and iced coffee at Starbucks or Alpine because gross. God, haven't you tried an espresso? No one appreciates black coffee anymore. ~Take me back.~

5. All of your friends literally hate you because of how often you say "one time this summer" or "well in Europe..." Shoutout to the Tar Heels that held down the fort at home. We're sorry. But we can't stop.

6. Any time you ask for extra cash, your parents fully reject you and/or mock you. Oh, really? You'd like to buy a new outfit? Well you should have thought about that when you booked the train to London. Oh you need food? Sorry, I thought you were still full from all the baguettes you spent our money on.

7. You're suddenly excited about the amount of personal space you have. There's so much room for activities! I can actually turn 360 degrees in the shower! 

8. You still sometimes correct yourself when you talk about money. "It was only, like, twenty dollars. I mean euros. What? No. Dollars."

9. Late night food has become depressing, since it just brings back memories of what used to be. It usually results in an emotional conversation about how much you miss fresh buffalo mozzarella or bread right out of the oven. No offense Toppers, I still love you. 

10. Your Insta game is too weak. Here's another shot of the Old Well! Sorry it's not a picture of the Mediterranean Sea. Wait, it's Thursday? Okay, here's another picture of the Mediterranean Sea. #TBT 

11. You find that you actually missed UNC. Being gone for the summer made you realize how much you love Carolina, even though it lacks the open container laws and cuisine of Europe. If we were abroad right now, we'd be missing Cookout and Cheerwine. Keep sharing those mems, but remember it's always good to be home.