Pit Talk

5 things they don't tell UNC transfer students

I am a proud transfer student, but it doesn’t always feel that way.

Let me explain.

I have been on campus for approximately one month and have already had my fair share of tripping on bricks, stuffing myself with the cookies from Lenoir and sending an email to an entire listserv. 

Naturally, these are all traditional rite of passages at Carolina for freshmen. But for a transfer?

Transfer students bring a unique perspective to every college campus. We diversify the heck out of this campus and I love it. Being a transfer can also be confusing, and we don’t always know what we’re doing.

Here are a few things they didn’t tell me before I transferred: 

1. You will be homesick, and it’s okay

I’ve lived in Chapel Hill for over half my life, but the home I’m referring to here is Elon University, what I considered to be my home for the past ten months. At Elon, I had a great job, group of friends, and I had just declared my major. Sometimes, I even wonder if I made the right choice to leave (Note: I did).

Moral of the story is, the routine you were used to is gone, and you’ll freak out. You’ll question your decision to come here. This is perfectly natural. You’ll adapt, it might just take longer than expected.

2. English 105 won't transfer

“You’re not behind” insists my academic advisor. Technically she’s right, but the pressure of choosing classes is even greater for transfers than traditional freshmen because transfers have less room for error in their schedules.

ENGL 105, a class designed for freshmen, is an example of a class that you won’t get credit for unless you opt to submit a portfolio. Be open to change.

3. Don’t steer away from being labeled a “freshman” because of its stigma

We’ve all been guilty of this one. Sure, you might not be 18 years old with a high school graduation Facebook profile picture, but that doesn’t mean you automatically know what you’re doing. 

Don’t be afraid to ask people where something is. Join clubs. Embrace the awkward ice breakers. Oh, and go to New Student Convocation.

4. Wear blue at convocation

When I entered Carmichael Arena, I wasn’t prepared for the overwhelming sea of Carolina Blue that filled the stadium. 

I live off campus so no RA relayed the memo to me. I’m still not over it. 

Convocation is silly and cheesy and I almost skipped going, but you should really go. You’ll be happy you went, even if you don’t stay the whole time, and Chancellor Carol Folt even gives transfers a shout out.

5. What’s happening downtown

If you are a transfer, there’s a good chance you are over 21 (or ~almost~ there). 

Chapel Hill has a fantastic nightlife scene, but how on Earth are you supposed to know which ones have karaoke?! 

This is one they definitely leave off brochures for freshmen (understandably so), but for transfers who are just that much closer to 21, an unofficial guide would be helpful.

With this being said, I know not every transfer has the same experience. There are plenty of helpful resources out there, it just might require more effort on your part to seek them.

One thing that didn’t make the list: You earned your spot here.

They tell you this all the time! And it’s true.

Fellow transfers, #wemadeit.