Pit Talk

On making friends by backpacking and not showering

Imagine stumbling into the mountainous wilderness for a week with seven other first-years before making the big move: college. Now, add torrential rainstorms, homicidal bees and a boy who messes up every lyric to every song in the known universe. This was, without a doubt, one of the favorite weeks of my life.

The Outdoor Education Center (OEC) is the University’s hidden gem that not everyone is aware of. Under their expeditions department, I embarked on WAFFYS (pronounced wah-fees), or Wilderness Adventures For First-Year Students, a week long backpacking trip outside of Boone.

According to the WAFFYS website, the “expeditions empower incoming students with a positive personal and social transition into college.”

I made seven best friends, and I hadn’t even showered in seven days. We navigated what seemed like a never-ending, perilous jungle by our own accord. Don’t worry, WAFFYS comes with three expedition guides, but they don’t come with batteries because they won’t tell you if you’re on the right or wrong trail (unless impending doom is upon you). 

The group was expected to trek a little over 30 miles over the course of a week. The most difficult day occurred during the middle of the adventure, with nonstop rains during an eight-and-a-half hour uphill battle. That was oddly the most enjoyable day, because after all the struggle bussing, attempting to cook our dinners like the savages we were in the rain was hilarious.

Every other day was a guarantee for laughs. The group dynamic was formed almost entirely through Spongebob references and singing, which was only funnier due to the fact that one of us incorrectly sang the lyrics to every song wrong. (Mark, it’s not “Here comes the sun, dweedle dweedle,” but it forever will be now.)

For any future first-years looking to erase the awkwardness of not knowing anyone in college, check out WAFFYS, or for any other students seeking the (real) wild side of adulthood, sign up for one of these upcoming trips with Outdoor Recreation.