Pit Talk

Why we're looking forward to fall break

Ladies and gentleman, fall break is almost upon us. Two. More. Days. You can do it. Push through. 

This is the motivational speech I have been giving myself all weekend due to the fact I have four exams in the span of 48 hours. Hah. I’m not hyperventilating or anything. Yet.

Here are 4 things we are all looking forward to over break:

1. Rest

Fall break is a wonderful time to catch up on rest, which we all need. Make sure to take one day over break without setting an alarm before bed and sleeping until you wake up. 

Y’all, if I do this I might never wake up. I am going to try it anyway.

2. Driving our own cars

Most of us undergrads don’t have a car on campus. Who is tired of scrounging to find a ride to the grocery store or walking 20 minutes to and from Franklin to run the simplest errand that would take 2 minutes if you were at home? 

Not to mention having to brave the weather if it’s pouring rain outside. Yeah, no thanks. I know we are ready to get back some of the freedom of having our cars.

3. Spending time with our families

That's an actual text my brother sent me and my sister.

By now, some of you have probably already visited home for a weekend. I have. 

Does anyone else feel like they don’t even really see their family when they go home? I mean you get home late Friday, then run every errand you possibly can on Saturday before you are stuck without a car again and then leave around noon Sunday. Sorry my haircut is apparently ranked higher than you, mom. 

I get back to school and think, “did I even see my family?” Over break, most of your exams are out of the way and you have a couple more days to just relax. 

Don’t take this time for granted. Your fam is probably so excited to see you!

4. Doing some of the things we actually want to do

At school it is so easy to get caught up doing work non-stop. 

It’s all grinding and no unwinding. 

You probably never have a minute to yourself. I know this semester all I do is read for homework. 

I have had to read Shakespeare, Marx, Freud, Foucault, Althuessuer…OK sorry I’ll stop. 

My point is I AM TIRED OF READING. It’s actually a shame because I love to read. 

Over break I am going to pick up a book I really want to read for once and I am going to enjoy it.

We hope you all have a wonderful fall break. Remember, it is called a break for a reason — take one!