Pit Talk

Things to do when your parents visit campus other than taking them to TOPO

Overlooking Franklin Street is Chapel Hill’s most popular restaurant Top of the Hill, best known for serving excellent food, providing a sophisticated atmosphere and being the place you take your parents when they’re in town and you don’t know what else to do with them.

We at UNC love the place, but after you’ve had your nice family dinner, figuring out how else to entertain your folks can leave us all a bit lost. 

Should you give them a tour of campus? Invite them to relax in your dorm? Tell them to get in the car and go the heck home? The decision can be a stressful one to make.

The area around UNC may be small, but it is home to plenty of other locations, events, and activities that will keep your parents happy all weekend long. Give mom and dad the full Chapel Hill experience and remind them exactly why they’re paying all that money for their precious child to come to school here in the first place.

carolina-performing-arts.jpg

Source: TripAdvisor

Take them to a show

Amongst thousands of other things, UNC students excel at putting on a show. Showcasing the talent of your fellow students is a perfect way to show off to mom and dad the talented people with whom you are spending your college days. 

There are various locations on campus where you can find performances going on — to name a few, Carolina Performing Arts and Playmakers Theatre are perfect for evenings of entertainment and both host a variety of shows that anybody can enjoy.

Morehead_Planetarium_Sundial.JPG

Source: Wikipedia

Check out the Morehead Planetarium

The Morehead Planetarium hosts “live” star shows, in which the stars in the sky are mapped and explored each night, and multimedia shows that explore the universe, the human body and other scientific topics of interest. 

Both educational and visually stunning, the Morehead is another perfect way to showcase the research being done at UNC while simultaneously making for an exciting family outing.

ArborEntrance_31.jpg

Source: Chapel Hill Recorder

Visit the botanical gardens

The North Carolina Botanical Garden is one of the largest botanical gardens in the Southeast and is bursting with natural beauty. Featuring sites like the Coker Arboretum, Battle Park and the Forest Theatre, you can schedule a tour of the gardens or choose to take a stroll on your own.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Beautiful day for ice cream! <a href="http://t.co/GcEbBG0ELR">pic.twitter.com/GcEbBG0ELR</a></p>— Maple View Farm (@MVFIceCream) <a href="https://twitter.com/MVFIceCream/status/580104412049354752">March 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Head out to Maple View Farm 

Located about 20 minutes from campus by car, Maple View is a farmhouse in Hillsborough, NC and is one of most relaxing locations to visit in the area. Inside the house, which is surrounded by rolling hills and green farmland, is a small ice cream shop that is listed as one of Food and Wine’s best ice cream shops in the U.S. Kicking back with your parents in a rocking chair on the shop’s porch and enjoying a delicious afternoon treat is ideal for quality family time.

ccm1_032455.jpg

Source: UNC

Check out the Ackland Art Museum

The Ackland Art Museum, located on S. Columbia Street, has been featured in the New York Times  and was was awarded TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence. Not only does the gallery boast an impressive 17,000 works of art, but it also hosts a variety of events open to the public, such as Family and Friends Sundays and Yoga in the Galleries - all at absolutely no cost.

Weaver_Street2.jpg

Source: East Chapel Hill Observer

Eat and shop in Carrboro 

Just a few minutes' drive outside Chapel Hill is Carrboro, where plenty of opportunities for fun afternoons exist. Restaurants and shopping centers can be found throughout the area along with places like Weaver Street Market and Cat’s Cradle, both of which are great sources of entertainment. One of the best things try out, however, is the Carrboro Farmer’s Market, which takes place every Saturday and hosts over 70 local farmers and artisans.

hi-res-164351597_crop_north.jpg

Source: Bleacher Report

Take them to a game

Carolina is known nationwide for our accomplished athletes and fast-paced sports events. If you plan far enough ahead in advance, you can certainly do your best to win tickets to a basketball game

However, since it often seems easier to win the actual lottery than the UNC basketball lottery, there are plenty of other teams that are also amazing at what they do and who the community supports just as strongly.