Pit Talk

What is Holi Moli?

I'm sure that by now, you've heard of Holi Moli at UNC in some form or another and probably signed up to go, but what the heck is it? 

Source: Wikipedia

Holi itself is the traditional Indian festival that announces the arrival of spring and passing of winter, where people forget their arguments and everything is awash in bright colors and love. 

According to Festival of Colors USA, one legend states that Holi is derived from the demoness Holika. She was the sister of a demon king, Hiranya Kashipu, who proclaimed his supremacy over the Universe when he defeated the gods. 

Hiranya Kashipu decided to punish his son, who was devoted to Lord Vishnu. He joined forces with Holika, who is immune to fire. Holika carried his son through the fire, and somehow through divine intervention it destroys her and saves the boy.  Holi celebrates the burning of the evil Holika.

Here at UNC, Holi is celebrated with Holi Moli, and is open to all students who want to connect to the community. UNC Holi Moli has a Facebook page and a Twitter account if ya wanna look at cool pics and get updated on the festival. Learn more about why Holi is celebrated at UNC here on their official website!

Basically, Holi is celebrated here at UNC by going to Hooker Fields (with a ticket!!) and throwing colors on your friends, getting messy and happy.

It's also on the UNC Bucket List, which is SUPER COOL AND YOU SHOULD GO.

@calliewilliamss