Pit Talk

A letter to incoming out-of-state students

Dear class of 2020 out-of-state students,

First of all, congratulations on both getting into UNC and choosing to come here! It's a big decision, especially when you're from out of state. 

As a fellow out-of-state kid, I've learned a few things this past year about what it means to be apart of the 20 percent of students that don't come from the wonderful state of North Carolina. 

It's hard. Don't get me wrong, I've had an amazing year, but it's hard. There will be moments where you ask yourself if it was really worth it to go so far from home, especially when you've just come out of a midterm that you studied really hard for but you're pretty sure you bombed it anyways. I'm speaking from experience here.

It's okay to call home. Personally, I call home every Sunday, yet I end up calling my mom sometime during the middle of the week if I need to vent. It's refreshing to hear a familiar voice on the phone, and your parents will appreciate hearing from you. It's hard on them too.

You may find it annoying when your in-state peers talk about going home for the weekend. Yet you may get lucky and meet some pretty cool people who open their homes up to you. Even if it's just for one night, it's nice to get away from the mass of stress we lovingly call UNC.

Sports are big here, both at UNC and in the state of North Carolina. That being said, you can still support your hometown team while you're here. There's nothing wrong with showing some love for where you're from. Go Broncos.

When you first get here, you won't refer to UNC or your dorm room as "home". You may even try and fight it. Yet eventually you'll slip up and say that you're going home after a long night at the library, and by home you'll mean the 12 by 15 cinder block box that you co-inhabit with someone else. 

It's inevitable. UNC will get into your blood and from then on you're a goner.

So take a few deep breaths, and relax. You're in for one heck of a ride. 

Much love,

Someone who goes to school 1,666 miles away from home.