From the Press Box

DT Willis to transfer from UNC

In his opening statement to the media after Thursday’s morning practice, North Carolina football coach Butch Davis disclosed that freshman defensive tackle Brandon Willis has decided to transfer from the University.

Davis intimated that Willis’ mother died in the previous year, and that his father had just been able to find employment in Southern California.

“His father was looking for employment, and he was informed yesterday that he was able to find a job,” Davis said. “The unfortunate thing is he found a job in Southern California, and he is really adamant about trying to keep his family together. He’s asked both of his sons to join him out there and move.”

The transfer is just the latest blow to the UNC’s defensive tackles, as they also could lose star tackle Marvin Austin to an NCAA investigation on eligibility. With Willis leaving, the team now has five players on the roster listed as defensive tackles who have no doubts regarding their eligibility. Two of those five are freshmen.

“It’s never a good thing when you lose guys that might have played or guys that are going to be able to add to the depth,” Davis said. “We just found out this morning, so we really haven’t had an opportunity to discuss it and talk about it.”

It has been a whirlwind year for Willis, as he de-committed from Tennessee after then-Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin left Tennessee for the University of Southern California — the same area where Willis’ father got a job. When Willis re-opened his recruitment, UNC was able to sign him.

Davis said he has not discussed with the other coaches on the chances of giving Willis a release to play in the NCAA next season.

The departure of Willis is the third freshman the program has lost this season. Running back Giovani Bernard tore his ACL early in the camp and Ty Linton signed a contract to play professional baseball with the Arizona Diamonds on Monday.