From the Press Box

Tar Heels slog to 3-2 win against Wake Forest

The North Carolina field hockey team thought they would be in for a tough test today against Wake Forest in Henry Stadium. In the end, they were right.

The difference in the final score was the same as it has been the last five times the Tar Heels and Demon Deacons have squared off — a single goal. But UNC ground out a hard-fought 3-2 victory in its ACC home-opener while rain fell steadily throughout the game.

Slippery sticks and heavy shoes made it difficult for either team to find a rhythm early in the first half. But the Tar Heels found an offensive spark just before halftime, scoring twice in the last five minutes off goals from Katie Ardrey and Emma Bozek. It turned out those would be UNC’s last goals of the game.

The Tar Heels struggled offensively in the second half, appearing visibly frustrated with their inability to find the back of the net. But despite allowing in another penalty corner goal, the defense held strong as it fended off a five-minute Wake Forest yellow-card advantage and clinging to a one-goal lead.

Coach Karen Shelton said it’s difficult to defend rebounded penalty corners like the two Wake Forest scored against UNC today because they’re difficult to safely emulate in practice.

UNC will recoup and dry off as it prepares to take on an up-and-coming Virginia Commonwealth team tomorrow afternoon at 1.