From the Press Box

UNC field hockey leads Wake Forest 3-1 after rainy first half

At halftime, the grounds staff will usually activate the water cannons positioned around the field hockey field at Henry Stadium. Keeping the field’s turf surface wet helps the ball skim over it with less friction.

But as rain continues to fall at the half, it looks like that won’t be necessary today.

The rain complicated seemed to complicate efforts by both teams to pass and maintain possession, but UNC found its rhythm late in the first half to pull ahead of Wake Forest 3-1.

The Tar Heels scored first in the 10th minute when Charlotte Craddock pocked in an assist from Katie Ardrey on a penalty corner.

It was nearly 15 minutes later before either team managed to mount another effective offensive attack, but Wake Forest finally took advantage of the second of a pair of penalty corners. Taylor Rhea capitalized on a rebounded shot and scored the Demon Deacons’ first goal with UNC goalkeeper Sassi Ammer sprawled on the ground.

But UNC produced better opportunities in the half’s final 10 minutes, which in turn produced goals. Katie Ardrey scored on a close-range reverse-sweep shot in the 31st minute. Two minutes later, Katie Ardrey scored on an assist from fast-breaking Charlotte Craddock, who had shepherded the ball straight up the field.