From the Press Box

ACC in the NCAA: women's roundup

With its 59-54 defeat of Albany yesterday, the North Carolina’s women’s basketball team survived to fight another day — Tuesday at 7:00 p.m., to be precise, against sixth-seeded Delaware.

The Tar Heels will join three other ACC teams in the tournament’s second round. Here are how the other conference teams have fared so far in the women’s NCAA Tournament:

• No. 8 Miami fell to No. 9 Iowa State 63-59 yesterday, ending its season at 21-10.
  • The conference’s other Florida team, Florida State, did better, downing No. 9 Princeton 60-44. But the Seminoles have the nation’s top team, Baylor, standing in their way. What’s more, FSU will be taking on the Bears on their home court Tuesday.
  • Second-seeded Duke made light work of Hampton Sunday in Cameron Indoor Stadium, 67-51. No. 7 Oklahoma State is up next for the Blue Devils on Tuesday at 7:10 p.m.
  • And Maryland, the fourth seed in North Carolina’s Bridgeport bracket, plays today at 7:20 p.m. against Michigan State after defeating Quinnipiac 72-52 on Saturday. Should the Terrapins prevail, they’ll likely come up against Connecticut, which defeated first-round opponent Idaho by an astonishing 105-37 margin. Still, the Huskies have to get past a good eight-seed in Vanderbilt today.