From the Press Box

Men's tennis falls to No. 1 Virginia

The Virginia men’s tennis team proved its position as the No. 1 team in the country Sunday, defeating No. 70 North Carolina 6-1.

The Cavaliers’ lineup consisted of six nationally ranked players, two of which are top five in the country.

The only Tar Heel victory came in three sets from unranked senior co-captain William Parker, who defeated No. 22 Ryan Shane of Virginia.

The Tar Heels traveled to Virginia for the weekend, falling 4-3 in a close match to No. 52 Virginia Tech on Friday, followed by their loss to UVa. on Sunday.

The weekend matches mark the two most recent losses in conference play, leaving UNC with a 0-4 start in conference matches and 7-10 overall.

After a strong start to the season, UNC has now suffered eight consecutive losses, a result of more competitive and highly ranked opponents.

The toughest competition the Tar Heels have faced was the Cavaliers, who remain the only undefeated team in the nation thus far.

Following a series of losses, UNC has seen several changes to its lineup.

Since Esben-Hess Olesen’s return from an injury two weeks ago against VCU, he has played at the No. 1 singles position, moving Nelson Vick to the No. 2 position.

The No. 3-5 positions have remained the same since Olesen’s return with Brett Clark, William Parker and Oystein Steiro, respectively.

The No. 6 singles position, however, has held four different UNC players in the last seven matches, none of which have won their match.

The sixth seed position will most likely continue to change until a No. 6 Tar Heel is victorious.

The Tar Heels will have a competition-free weekend but will face six more conference matches until the end of the regular season.