From the Press Box

Duke snaps UNC volleyball's undefeated streak

The previously undefeated No. 10 North Carolina volleyball team came out uncharacteristically flat in its highly anticipated Turn It Pink match against conference rival Duke on Friday night.

A record crowd of 5,322 showed up — many donning pink, per the theme — to watch Duke sweep the Tar Heels in three straight sets, resulting in UNC’s first home loss since October 7, 2011.

Coach Joe Sagula was noticeably distressed throughout the match as his team appeared to lack the energy that carried it to a 15-0 start up until Friday night.

Sophomore setter Jordyn Schnabl provided a spark for UNC early with four assists and three strong digs in the first set. Jovana Bjelica and Paige Neuenfeldt tallied four kills each, but several UNC errors coupled with strong play from Duke led the Blue Devils to a 25-22 victory.

A lack of energy towards the end of the second game — a game Sagula said he thought his team would win — cost the Tar Heels again as Duke went on a couple of short consecutive runs to win 25-22 again. The Blue Devils claimed the third set 25-19.

Lauren Adkins continued her hot streak with nine kills — good for second best on the team behind Bjelica’s 10. Her team-leading .471 hitting percentage was more than five times the team’s .093 average.

Sagula said the Tar Heels hope to bounce back Saturday night against Wake Forest, and must play with fewer errors. UNC registered 28 errors, twice Duke’s 14.

“We need to move forward and think about tomorrow and that’s it,” Sagula said.

Players and coach alike seemed to regret the disappointing performance in front of a supportive crowd.

“I almost felt like we kind of gave up,” said Neuenfeldt, who noted that she’s never lost a match in Carmichael Arena before.

“It was definitely a bummer.”