From the Press Box

North Carolina soccer trailing Wilmington at the half

Although the North Carolina men’s soccer team outshot UNC-Wilmington 8-3 in the first half of Tuesday’s contest, it was the Seahawks that left the field with the one goal advantage.

The Tar Heels have notoriously struggled all season in the offensive half, but they immediately charged the Seahawk defense at the sound of the first whistle. Two minutes into the game, junior Tyler Engel sent a shot pummeling over the cross bar, and UNC received a corner kick in the next play.

Only a minute later, the Tar Heel offense forced a scramble inside the UNCW box, which was narrowly cleared by a Seahawk defender. Senior Josh Rice got his head on a corner kick from junior Verneri Valimaa in the ninth minute, but the attempt swept inches over the crossbar.

After the initial pressure, UNC resumed its patient possession game in an effort to slowly and tactically break down the UNCW defensive line.

The Seahawks recorded a mere three shots in the half, but unlike the Tar Heels, they were able to make one effort count.

After being fouled by a Tar Heel player at midfield, UNCW was awarded a free kick. The one-man wall of Engel was not enough to block the low cross, resulting in a successful shot from sophomore Jordan Cordero in the 35th minute.

The Tar Heels responded flat-footed, allowing another dangerous cross from Seahawk forward Nathaniel Goodwin, which ricocheted off the crossbar.

Despite a last chance attempt from freshman Omar Holness, the Tar Heels failed to equalize before the end of the half.