From the Press Box

Hatchell showing promise

Two days after her team’s promising start in a 111-50 exhibition game win against Carson-Newman, North Carolina women’s basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell is showing promise as well.

After temporarily stepping away from her coaching job last month due to a leukemia diagnosis, Hatchell is remaining strong, her doctor said.

“Coach Hatchell is doing great,” said Pete Voorhees, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology with the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center and the NC Cancer Hospital. “She has tolerated therapy exceptionally well, and early indicators are that the leukemia is responding to therapy.”

Hatchell said having an outstanding treatment facility so close to home has been a gift.

“I’m learning that it was truly a blessing for me to be here at the University of North Carolina as I received this diagnosis because of the UNC Lineberger Cancer Center,” Hatchell said. “UNC Lineberger Cancer Center is the number one place for leukemia research.

“If you’re going to have leukemia, the doctors, the research, and the care given daily by the staff here is a blessing. The people at the University of North Carolina need to realize how fortunate we are to have this Center here. In addition to the care I am being given, the overwhelming love and support from everyone has expedited my recovery. I’m feeling better every day and I cannot wait to get back and coach my Tar Heels.”

Her Tar Heels were ranked No. 12 in the Associated Press preseason poll released Friday, but have said they are focused on their coach — a coach Voorhees said is tough on the inside and out.

“It is still early, but we are extremely pleased with how things are going,” Voorhees said. “She remains strong both physically and mentally, which will serve her well moving forward.”