From the Press Box

North Carolina men's golf travels to Carpet Capital Collegiate: three things we learned

Over the weekend, the North Carolina men's golf team traveled to Rocky Face, Ga. to participate in the Carpet Capital Collegiate. Here are three things we learned. 

The future is bright

The Tar Heels started two freshmen over the weekend, Ben Griffin and William Register. Both golfers had strong outings in their first collegiate tournament. 

Register got off to a hot start on Friday, posting a team low 3-under-par 69. Over the next two days, Register shot one-over-par to finish the tournament as the Tar Heels' second-lowest scorer and tied for 18th overall. 

Griffin was over par on Friday and Saturday, but ended the weekend with a strong Sunday performance. He shot a 3-under-par 69 to move up 19 spots on the leaderboard and finish the tournament at even par.

The Tar Heels press on

Despite starting Sunday 11th out of 14 teams, the Tar Heels bounced back to shoot their best round of the tournament as a team. 

They finished the day with a 4-under par 284, which was two strokes better than their score on Friday and seven strokes better than on Saturday. The strong finish allowed the Tar Heels to move up two spots and finish 9th overall. Leading the Sunday charge was Griffin’s 3-under-par 69. 

Delinka picks up where Patrick leaves off

Last year, now senior Bailey Patrick tied for first place in the Carpet Capital Collegiate. Patrick struggled this year, finishing 7-over-par and tied for 51st in the field of 75. 

This year, his classmate Brandon Dalinka found success at the tournament. Delinka finished tied for 10th at 4-under-par. He had a strong start, shooting 2-under-par 70 on both Friday and Saturday. He would finish Sunday at even-par. 

Delinka was the Tar Heels' highest finisher this weekend. He looks to carry the momentum into next weekend when Carolina hosts the Tar Heel Intercollegiate.