From the Press Box

UNC leads Pittsburgh 20-3 at halftime

PITTSBURGH — North Carolina enters halftime with a 20-3 lead over No. 23 Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. Here are three things to note about the game thus far.

1. Pushing the pace

UNC ran only 29 plays in the first half and had possession of the ball for 10:48. But the Tar Heels took advantage of their opportunities, accumulating 250 total yards of offense for an average of 8.6 yards per play.

Three of UNC's drives took less than three minutes, including a three-play 38-yard drive following a Panthers' fumble. The drive concluded with a 32-yard touchdown reception by Mack Hollins, handing the Tar Heels a 20-3 lead.

North Carolina is averaging 0.69 points per play so far.

2. Switzer stellar

North Carolina junior receiver Ryan Switzer scored the first touchdown of the game on a 71-yard pass from Marquise Williams at the 12:13 mark in the first half. The score gave UNC a 10-3 lead — its first of the game.

In three career games against the Panthers, Switzer has now scored four touchdowns. When UNC played at Pittsburgh in 2013, the then-first-year had two punt returns for touchdowns.

3. Dominant defense

After allowing the Panthers to kick a field goal on their opening drive, the Tar Heels' defense shut out Pittsburgh for the final 21:41 of the first half.

UNC tallied three sacks in the first half, and the secondary has broken up five passes — including two each from M.J. Stewart and Des Lawrence. 

@patjames24