From the Press Box

UNC holds a 7-3 halftime lead over Virginia Tech

BLACKSBURG, VA. — With a chance to win the Coastal Division, the No. 12 North Carolina football enters halftime holding a 7-3 lead over Virginia Tech at Lane Stadium. Here are three things to note about the game so far.

1. Bye, Beamer

Before the game, the Hokies honored Coach Frank Beamer, who announced earlier this month that he will retire at the end of the season. He is the winningest active coach in Football Bowl Subdivision history.

In Beamer's final contest at Lane Stadium, the Hokies are wearing all-black uniforms with a patch to honor their head coach. Before the team walked onto the field, a prerecorded message from Metallica for Beamer was shown on the video board.

As Beamer stood on the field during the opening coin-toss, the fans in Lane Stadium chanted, "Thank you, Beamer." 

2. Hot start, cold finish

The Tar Heels marched 65 yards down the field on their first drive, capitalized by an 18-yard rushing touchdown by redshirt senior quarterback Marquise Williams.

But since then, UNC has struggled offensively, mustering just 91 yards of total offense. North Carolina has been unable to convert on multiple shots downfield, as drops and good coverage by the Virginia Tech secondary have limited UNC.

Sophomore running back Elijah Hood has only three carries for 16 yards.

3. Defense stands strong

Despite North Carolina's offensive struggles, the defense has allowed the Tar Heels to maintain their lead heading into halftime.

UNC has held Virginia Tech to 3.9 yards per play. Three times the Hokies have moved the ball into North Carolina territory, but the Tar Heels have surrendered only three points.

Senior linebacker Shakeel Rashad leads the team with 10 total tackles. He also recorded a sack.

@patjames24