Tar Heel Life Hacks

Quick and easy snacks for busy college students

Let’s face it, we live in a world where all-nighters are far too common and food might not always be a student’s first priority. I’ll often find myself skipping a meal because I’m too busy to cook, too anxious to eat or simply because I woke up late for class. 

To anyone who can relate: This. Is. Not. OK. 

Take care of yourself (and your college budget) this season by making these affordable snacks:

Breakfast: Nutella waffle sandwich

Ingredients: Waffles, Nutella

I’m not a huge chocolate lover, but for whatever reason, Nutella cures any doubt I have about it. I discovered this quick eat last week when my roommate was rushing out the door on her way to class. Incredibly easy to make, the Nutella waffle sandwich took her approximately three minutes to make (two to toast the waffles, one to spread). If you’re feeling extra rebellious, you can switch Nutella with another spread like Speculoos Cookie Butter, Trader Joe’s Cocoa Almond Spread, Peanut Butter… You get the gist.

Lunch: Avocado à la vinaigrette

Ingredients: Avocado, Vinaigrette (in my case, Newman’s Own Lite Balsamic)

In college, I’ve realized that there are two types of people in this world: those who love avocados and those who hate them. For those who’ll eat a whole avocado, this dish is for you. Simply scoop out the pit with a spoon, or if you’re feeling adventurous, a chef’s knife, and fill it with dressing. A salad to-go!

Dinner: Life-size Pizza Bagel Bite

Ingredients: Bagel, tomato sauce, cheese

This takes slightly more effort than the previous dishes, but it overall took no less than 5 minutes to make. Lather a bagel with tomato sauce and cheese and you have a dish that tastes just as delicious while also making you feel good since you know what you’re putting in your body.

Optional: Make it a Meat Lovers bite and add pepperoni or ham

All-day beverage: Coa-cha

Ingredients: Coffee, Cocoa powder

Just like Nutella, Mocha is another exception I have for all things chocolate. If you’re struggling to make it through the day without endless naps, a cup of coffee is in order. Mix in some cocoa powder and you’re already one more step to conquering this week.

Optional: Add real Hershey’s chocolate sauce and a splash of cream and it might just change how you feel about coffee.

I’m no barista, but I can make yo’ cup swirl.