Tar Heel Life Hacks

What not to do during the impending hurricane

It's brewing like the 8th K-cup in your dorm room Keurig as you study for your final midterm of the week. 

Aside from sharing a name with one of the greatest actors of all time, Hurricane Joaquin sounds like bad news. Originally predicted to simply cause heavy rain and strong winds, the National Hurricane Center updated its projection Wednesday to include possible landfall on the East Coast, including North Carolina. 

Being from Florida, where you learn hurricane drills in school before your ABC's, I consider myself an expert on dealing with powerful precipitation. 

For how to prepare for a hurricane and other safety tips, visit the NHC's website. For what NOT to do during a hurricane, keep reading.

Take a walk, go for a run, exercise in general

Walking in heavy rain has never been fun, but if you're up for a challenge #goyou. However, exercise of any kind might not be the best idea considering the possibility that you might be stuck in your dorm without power for hours with only dry Ramen noodles and warm Aquafina for sustenance. Might need to make like a grizzly bear and store up that fat for the winter.

Netflix and Chill

No power = no Netflix = no chill

Finally start the Topsy-Turvy garden you've dreamed of since middle school

Your tomatoes and strawberries will be gone with the wind if you start now. Dining hall fruits and vegetables should suffice for the time being.

Break in your new rain boots

Just no.

Ride the P2P

If you think the ride is bumpy now, just imagine your driver yelling at you to get your feet off of the seats while tossing and tumbling through the air Wizard-of-Oz-style. My guess is the kitty litter would be used wayyy before 2 a.m.

Put up the wind chimes your great aunt Helen got you for Easter five years ago

Your roommate will hate you. Your suitemates will hate you. Your neighbors will hate you. I will hate you.

Nap

Taking a snooze during a light drizzle or even pitter-patter rain can be heavenly. Taking a snooze during a hurricane will have you dreaming about drowning. And no one wants that.

Cry/freak out/Macaulay Culkin scream

You are a strong, independent college student who don't need sunshine and clear skies! You will tell your grandchildren about your bravery and strength during this hard and traumatic time! Take my advice and you will make it through Hurricane Joaquin!

But, just in case you don't...