Tar Heel Life Hacks

5 ways to avoid your family over break

"How's school going?"

"So are you dating anyone?"

"Do you have a job?"

"Have you figured out your major yet?"

Good...no...no...of course not, I don't have my life together. 

We all know the struggles of facing the extended family over the holidays. From the endless repetitive questions to that one aunt that just won't stop hugging you, no one seems to understand that you're home solely for the good food and your bed. 

Here are a couple tips on how to survive the break without totally losing what sanity you have left. 

Strategy 1:

Bring a friend home! You know that out-of-state homie who isn't flying back over break, or that friend from high school that you haven't seen since the summer? They would be a perfect barrier between you and your fam, redirecting all of their attention. Just make sure that they are well prepped for the madness. 

Strategy 2: 

Claim some health issue — make sure to say it's infectious! — cough dramatically and bask in the glory of everyone running away from your germs. It's a great excuse to stay in bed and sleep all day in lovely isolation. As an added bonus, the now-permanent bags under your eyes will help sell the sick look!

Strategy 3:

Lose yourself in the amazingness that is Cyber Monday. What could be better than leisurely shopping online while in your pjs? Tell your family that you're buying mandatory school supplies and can't miss a moment of the sale. 

Strategy 4:

The tried and true classic: hiding. Claim some space in the house as your own, gather supplies (laptop, charger, food, phone) and settle in for the long haul. Check out these movies to pass the time! Pro tip: be careful that your spot is hidden enough, or else you might be discovered and dragged into a social interaction. 

Strategy 5: 

Distract the fam with food, especially these fun and easy desserts. By the time they look up from the deliciousness, you'll be long gone. Be sure to snag some for yourself!

Happy holidays, Heels!

@calliewilliamss