Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to exercise during hibernation season

Hibernation season is coming, and with it, the lessening probability of me ever making that depressing trek to the gym. If going to the gym is bad during the summer, it’s even worse during the fall, when all I want to do is snuggle with a vat of hot chocolate in my room. Swimsuit season is totally over, right?

In order to prevent separation anxiety from that hot chocolate, I’ve come up with some great in-dorm exercises to help you get in your ~occasional~ fall/winter workout

Stadium your dorm stairs

When I didn’t feel like braving the elements during freshman year, I put in my headphones, listened to really hyped-up classical music and ran up and down the stairs, hoping no one would see me. This works best if your dorm has a back stairwell. 

I could never tell if the weird looks people gave me were because they thought I was crazy or because they admired my epic levels of fitness. On those days when I was whispering to myself, “You can do this,” it was probably the former.

Old lady aerobic videos

My favorite is Prancercise. These videos are great because while you are prancing around your room, your roommate can get in an abs workout by laughing at you. Way to sacrifice your dignity for the greater good.

10 push-ups

Try instituting designated workout days, but keep your definition of “workout” flexible. This kind of thinking allows you to do 10 push-ups and call it a day. 

It’s a legitimate workout I did once this semester. This method is very effective for feeling good about yourself while doing almost nothing.

Eating pizza

I know. It’s beautiful. Despite the fact that pizza consumption and working out SEEM to be polar opposites, nothing could be further from the truth. 

I’m a big advocate of working out all the muscles in your body. No one wants great abs with flabby arms. Don’t discriminate against those smaller, less important muscles! 

It’s very important to work the jaw and neck muscles by chewing. The bigger the pizza, the stronger those muscles will become.

@meggiecruser