Tar Heel Life Hacks

7 dessert recipes you must try this holiday season

‘Tis the season to be merry and ‘tis the season to gain a couple of pounds. Whip out your aprons and rolling pins folks, it's baking season!

I love to bake all year, but there is something extra special about baking this. Maybe it’s because it's winter so I don’t have to worry about being in a bathing suit. Maybe it’s the blaring Christmas music I sing along to as I bake. Or maybe it is the fact I am surrounded with my family and we are all baking together. I think it's a mixture of all of the above.

I could just be biased that holiday desserts are the best desserts. Which they are, duh. 

Here are 7 dessert recipes you must try this holiday season:

1. Pumpkin muffins

Source: Recipe Duchess

Pumpkin muffins are a classic this time of year. This is a simple recipe you can whip up in about 30 minutes, including cook time! Check out the recipe here.

2. Pumpkin bars

Source: Thirty Handmade Days

Taking the pumpkin treats one step further, this pumpkin bar recipe is to die for! I am serious. I could eat a whole pan of these. My mom and I definitely could if we had a tag team thing going.

My aunt introduced this recipe to me a couple years ago and now I make them every Thanksgiving. For the recipe visit this website..

3. Pumpkin cheesecake bars

Source: Roxanna's Home Baking

Taking pumpkin treat even further:

If your love for cheesecake and pumpkin had a child, this would be it.

I made these over fall break and they were very good! I tend to be more of a cake person rather than a cheesecake person, but if you are a cheesecake lover this is the holiday dessert for you!

Check out the recipe here.

Life hack: It calls for pumpkin pie spice, which costs $4 for like an ounce. If you just mix cinnamon and nutmeg, you will get close to the same flavor.

(P.S. I am not sorry for all the pumpkin recipes. I know you are all obsessed.)

4. Mini caramel apples

Source: Foodboom

These are adorable. That is all.

Recipe is here.

5. Nutter Butter Turkey Cupcakes

Source: Mommy Savers

If you have kids, little siblings or cousins they would love these cute guys! They are just your classic chocolate cupcake with a little fun décor. Check out the recipe here.

6. Melted Snowman Oreo Balls

Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything

Oreo balls, or Oreo truffles as I call them, are fab-u-lous. But, beware of these bite-sized treats. It can be really easy to keep popping them in your mouth and then 10 minutes later realize you probably consumed a whole roll of Oreos and half a pack of cream cheese, which is all these are (and then dipped in white chocolate, of course).

Feel free to add the cute snowman decoration or simply sprinkle some red sprinkles on top, which is how I do it. Simple, easy and just as tasty.

Check out the recipe here.

Life Hack: Have your decorations ready to go after you dip them in the chocolate, it dries very quickly!

7. Christmas Crunch

Source: Cooking Classy

Christmas crunch? More like everyday crunch because I could eat this everyday. 

This is the most delicious junk food out there. It is the perfect combo of salty and sweet.

Don’t feel like you have to use candy melts. White chocolate does just fine. For a little extra something add in half a cup of creamy peanut butter. Yum yum yum! 

Check out the recipe here.

Now that I have officially awoken the sleeping sugar dragon within me while writing this post I think I better stop here! (Especially since I have cut all sugar out for 30 days: read about my journey here.)

These seven treats barely scratch the surface of all that is out there. There are a plethora of holiday treat ideas on Pinterest! Try one out and let us know what you think by commenting below.