Tar Heel Life Hacks

4 rules of life as told by social media

The rules of life no longer come from mom, dad or educational VHS tapes. They come from social media. 

Social media is everywhere. It's evolved from being a simple daily distraction to being various sources of life guidelines updated by the second. 

These are some rules to life as told by social media:

1. If you didn't document it, it didn't happen

Everyone knows if you didn't Tweet, Instagram, Facebook or Snap (all new verbs courtesy of the 21st century) your events then they lose all credibility. Who would even think to trust anyone who doesn't post their every move to the internet — what do they have to hide?

2. The camera will hurt your pride, add a filter

Your mirror will tell you you're killing it, then your camera will show you otherwise, but the filters will have your back! The key to a poppin' photo on any social media is a solid filter that goes with the aesthetic of your platform. If you're going to post, do it right.

3. No comment, no friendship

When someone you know — friend or bae —or someone you hope to acquaint posts to social media you must interact with the post. If not, your relationship is either in jeopardy or it never existed. It's a given that you have to like (as in physically click "like") the post. But everybody knows the key to a healthy relationship is to make it known, so commenting is required.

4. It goes down in the DMs

The "shoot your shot 2016" movement is not like the other New Year's resolutions that have faded to black. This motto is here to stay, and everyone is using DMs to get the job done. Got a longtime crush? Slide into their DMs. Eyeing someone whose relationship is on the rocks? Well you could always test their DM. Direct messages are the perfect way to privately and unofficially make your move on someone without having to put in the effort to get their real contact information. It's 2016, use media advances to your advantage.