Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to make an impact your first year of college

I'm making up a new term called the "first year flop." Much like the sophomore slump, the first year flop is a legit, unexplainable feeling that first-years get because they think they don't have the experience to make an impact on campus. 

I feel like there's this unspoken rule that you have to do something extraordinary to make a name for yourself during your first year. I remember I constructed this extravagant plan to start a nonprofit after creeping on a friend's LinkedIn profile, only to realize that I didn't have the time or resources to do so at that moment. 

When that dream ended abruptly, I decided that I would have to do something else for my first year to be memorable. 

In the end, I didn't do anything over the top, but I know that I made an impact on campus with the help of these everyday actions.

1. Talk to people

via GIPHY

As an introvert, I know this is not something you're itching to do, if you're like me. Start small and say hi to the person sitting next to you on the first day of class because, chances are, they're just as nervous as you are. The first few weeks of college are the best time to meet new people because everyone is trying their hardest to make friends.

2. Dream big

via GIPHY

One of my friends told me that they wanted to work for ESPN, then immediately shrugged off the idea and said "but that's probably not going to happen." There's no guarantee that you land the perfect job straight out of college, but I don't think you should give up on a dream just because it seems unattainable. 

3. Do what makes you happy

via GIPHY

I spent part of my first year participating in certain clubs and activities solely because someone else discouraged me from doing what I truly love. I know that joining a club on your own is terrifying, but you are going to meet so many new people who share the same interests as you. Don't be afraid to do what you love, even if it's not what someone else wants you to do.

4. Get published

via GIPHY

If you like it, writing is a great way to get your name out there! I thought that getting published would be a lot more difficult since I didn't have that much experience coming into college. Most organizations on campus don't require previous experience and will help you improve your writing skills. 

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition