Tar Heel Life Hacks

How to properly have a Twitter beef

There's only one kind of internet controversy that is simultaneously hilarious and frightening — Twitter beef.

With its hashtags, mentions, and brief nature (due to the 140 character limit) Twitter is definitely most exciting place to join/start a rally.

Here are 5 tips to help keep up, recover and thrive in Twitter beef:

1. Have well-prepared clap backs.

Make sure you are able to return fire with speed, wit and accuracy. If it's been too long since your targeted tweet you may miss your opportunity. But, if your clap back game is strong it might be worth quoting the tweet and releasing the beast. Wit. Is. Key. If you're confident enough use hashtags to your advantage and have some fun with it

2. Take your time.

I know you don't want to miss the moment (and if you're personally invested in the debate then you're probably heated) but you MUST read over your tweets before you reveal them. Typos and confusing statements will not be respected. Your tweet may be quoted and attacked or lost in the sea of irrelevance.

3. Subtweeting is risky.

A subtweet crafted well enough to make your target obvious and still get the point across can be a beautiful thing. But subtweeting is also considered weak. Prepare to be called out for refusing to mention your target.

4. Careful what you retweet.

Make sure to only retweet bold statements that you would be comfortable with saying yourself. A retweet is more than just agreement. You are literally tweeting the claim AGAIN, so you must be ready to defend yourself should another attack arise.

5. Likes are a safe space.

Unless someone is being overly investigative no one will be checking who likes a tweet. Besides if you agree with the argument, adding to the number of likes will help prove that the argument is winning. The point of a debate is to win right?

Whether you're too scared to participate or on the high, unbothered road to maturity — if there's beef on Twitter, don't miss it, just sit back and watch the show.