Tar Heel Life Hacks

Why road trips are more fun than plane rides

Everyone you'll ever meet probably has an opinion about road tripping. Some people love it, some people hate it and some fall somewhere in the middle. 

I'm one of the ones that falls somewhere in the middle.

As I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate being stuck in a car for a lengthy period of time with both family and friends. 

There are certain things you can do and see during a road trip that you don't get to do while traveling the friendly skies.

For example, on a road trip, you can make a killer playlist filled with classics that you can't help but sing along to and belt them out at the top of your lungs with everyone around you. 

The same certainly cannot be said on an airplane. 

The person next to you trying to sleep probably won't appreciate a slightly off-key rendition of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" as much as your friends will.

Regardless if you're crossing state lines or not, road trips are often filled with interesting detours to quirky roadside attractions that you might not be able to find anywhere else in the world. 

It's much easier to alter your path of travel to go see the world's largest chest of drawers in a car than in a plane.

If your trip does take you into another state, road tripping allows you to get out and take a picture with the signs on the side of the highway letting you know that you've officially crossed state lines. 

Personally, going to all 50 states is a bucket list item for me. I think it's really cool to get out and take a picture with the signs, almost like putting visual check mark on my list. 

And let's be really honest with ourselves. 

From a plane, it is quite hard to tell where you're flying over, unless you're on one of those really new planes with the seat back tablets that have a flight tracker.

Finally, road trips come with more memories. While any trip or vacation is memorable, road trips give you more time to make memories. 

Spending a lengthy amount of time in a car with a group of people you care about is bound to warrant some excellent stories that you'll share time and time again. 

You won't remember every single person you've ever sat next to on a plane, but you will remember who you were crammed next to when you spent five hours together in the backseat along with all of the luggage. 

You'll remember the very off-key version of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" you sang with your friends or who found the most license plates while playing the license plate game.

So next time you find yourself going on a road trip, whether it be with family or with friends, whether it's long or short, enjoy it.