The Onyen

​Ben and Jerry’s trainees take a noble vow of silence to raise awareness for cow diversity

Ben and Jerry’s on Franklin Street welcomed a throng of new employees into their practice Monday. The trainees are working tirelessly on their scooping techniques and waffle coning, but that’s not what makes these new hyper-focused student employees so special.

The new trainees, upon their first day of work, have committed to a vow of silence in support of cow diversity.

“Ben and Jerry’s has always been about social change,” said co-owner, Ben (who preferred not to disclose his last name, saying, “It’s like a Beyoncé sort of deal. I am a one name wonder.”)

After just releasing their new line of vegan ice creams, Ben and Jerry were thrilled by the initiative put on by the UNC students working on Franklin. 

“Students on campus are always fighting for a more inclusive environment. Well, what about the cows?” one worker said. 

“Literally there are so many types. Not just the cute, black and white Chick-fil-a ones. People just don’t get it. We’re angry and we’re tired of cows being robbed of the basic human right: to feel known. Also I'm a vegan.”

So finally Ben and Jerry’s has taken a stand. If you walk in to the shop on Franklin, please don’t expect anyone to talk to you or help you. As they methodically scoop ice cream, they are in a moment of sincere meditation on the social injustices present to cows everywhere.

Kiana Cole, a sophomore journalism major, was thrown off guard by the trainees’ fierce dedication to not speaking to her. 

“I get it,” she said. “Scooping perfect rounds of icy delight requires focus, but why aren’t they pursuing me the way I‘m normally pursued by Ben and Jerry’s workers?”

But it must be understood that these trainees are under oath. With right hands over their hearts and left hands wrist deep in "The Tonight Dough," they took their noble vow of silence and they will not break it until cow diversity is recognized not only on campus but all over the world!

“It’s so energizing to see students involved in activism,” Ben said. “We love seeing youth getting involved in the issues that really matter.”