The Onyen

UNC professor criticizes students’ overuse of technology, then struggles to operate classroom projector

The Onyen is a satire blog and is for entertainment purposes only. All names, references and quotes are made-up. 

UNC history professor James Clorox began the lecture in his U.S. social movements class on Wednesday with some small talk, as he usually does. Then, he asked the class if they knew about an anti-police protest that broke out in Washington, DC on Monday.

“Yeah,” said junior Harmony Hark. “I saw it on Twitter.”

“Oh, really?” said Clorox. “I guess that’s how y’all get your information these days, isn’t it? On Twitter?”

Some murmurs among students went around, and then Clorox began his lecture. Well, he tried to begin his lecture.

Clorox began discussing the Montgomery bus boycott as he fidgeted with the classroom computer. He continued lecturing but increasingly became distracted as the computer failed to cooperate with him.

“Why… Why isn’t it—” He kept pressing buttons, but the PowerPoint still wouldn’t show up on the projector screen.

The screen turned on and projected a solid blue screen with the words “SOURCE: HDMI 1.”

Clorox looked confused. “What’s it doing now?”

“You got the HDMI plugged in?” Someone said.

“Yeah, it’s right here.” He pointed to a wire.

“No,” Hark said. “Dude, that’s the display port.”

“Oh. Where’s the HDMI then?” Clorox looked around the desk for another wire.

“No, just change the source to the display,” Hark said.

“What?” 

The students went back and forth with Clorox for a few minutes before the PowerPoint successfully showed up on the screen.