Town Talk

Residents dissatified with comprehensive plan process

The effort of Chapel Hill 2020 to engage the public in the development process may not be going far enough, residents say.

At a Monday night Town Council meeting, sixteen speakers criticized the process Chapel Hill 2020 has gone through with public.

The speakers, some of whom announced their feelings to the council with an open letter submitted Sunday — posted on Orange Politics — said they did not feel they were getting enough time to reach the goals the council wanted them to achieve with the Comprehensive Plan. The group said the June deadline was too soon for a compromise between stakeholders and leadership.

Julie McClintock signed the open letter and spoke at Monday’s meeting. McClintock emphasized that participants are happy the town is including them in the development process, but that she and her co-signers wanted to improve the process to be more efficient.

Council members said they will talk to the leaders of the Chapel Hill 2020 process and come back to participants to try to strike a compromise.

Notable:

A petition put forth by Ed Harrison in opposition to fracking in North Carolina without strict environmental regulations passed Council by a 7-2 vote.

The petition is in response to the N.C. General Assembly’s recent push to legalize fracking in North Carolina. The N.C. Department of Environmental and Natural Resources will hold a public meeting to discuss at East Chapel Hill High School tonight.

Quotable: