Town Talk

A local chef writes a cookbook for children

Chef Nate McMullen is making strides at diversifying children’s diets and improving nutrition at the Little School in Hillsborough — and now he’s writing a children’s cookbook of his favorite recipes.

The Little School opened its doors in 2005, but the original structure did not include a kitchen.

“When we built the professional kitchen we wanted to make sure we served what we wanted to the kids,” said Jennifer Dock, the school’s executive director.

When looking to fill the position of head chef at the school, administrators didn’t have to look far.

“Nate’s son was attending school, so we threw a party and he cooked for the event, which served as his job interview,” said Dock.

McMullen has been cooking his whole life and previously worked at the Fearrington House restaurant, but decided to work at the school for his family.

“Working with kids is brand new, but the restaurant lifestyle is not conducive to family life,” McMullen said.

But he also wanted to instill a new, healthier cuisine for kids at the school and expand their culinary horizons.

“I try to introduce new options, such as international food, and incorporate local agriculture,” said McMullen.

Now he is creating a cookbook of his most popular recipes, which includes fresh options for families.

“It is a labor of love for Nate and a lot of it is educating parents about what their kids can eat,” said Dock.

But cooking for kids is not always easy. McMullen said he has had his cooking ability put to the test several times while working for the school.

“Kids are the best critics because they will always tell you if they don’t like the food,” he said.

The cookbook is in its final stages and he said 1000 copies will be available to the public in a few weeks.

Along with the creation of a cookbook, McMullen’s farm-fresh food is now accessible to families outside of school meals.

“Now Chef Nate is offering dinners that can be brought back home after the school day,” said Dock.

Dock said students have responded very well to McMullen’s foodie dishes and he has become a mainstay at the school.

“He is a hero to the kids and when he delivers snacks in the morning, the whole classroom stops to greet him,” said Dock.

Parents have also taken notice of his initiative and consider him one of the integral parts of the school.

“We love the Little School overall, but Chef Nate is by far one of the best selling points,” said LeighAnne Weisenfeld, a parent of two students at the school.

The cookbook will be available at the school and some local bookstores, McMullen said, so parents can continue providing the healthy options their children have learned to love.