Town Talk

Carrboro residents ask for South Greensboro Street sidewalk

Walking on Greensboro Road in Carrboro could become a lot more safe if Michael Christian has anything to say about it.

Christian, a Carrboro resident and assistant professor at Kenan-Flagler Business School, gave a presentation at Tuesday night’s Board of Aldermen meeting on the potential addition of a sidewalk along South Greensboro Street going into downtown Carrboro.

“When I’ve walked or biked through there, it’s terrifying becuase I never knew if a car coming over the rise would see me in their direction,” said Alderwoman Randee Haven-O’Donnell.

The sidewalk would allow pedestrians to walk and bike into downtown. The road is extremely narrow. Christian said the addition would increase safety for both pedestrians and vehicles.

“It would result in reduced parking problems, reduced congestion, reduced emissions,” Christian said. “I think it’s in the spirit of Carrboro.”

Mayor Mark Chilton, leading his last board meeting, said that these changes were long overdue, but warned of the complexities of gaining federal funding because 80 percent of the money is directed towards interstate highway maintenance and renovation.

Noted

Gist insisted upon the extension of voting hours after this year’s poor turnout. She requested there be more options to vote on every Saturday during election periods and extended hours on Election Day.

The board voted unanimously to approve the ordinance, which they said would help increase voter turnout among people with less-flexible work hours.

Quoted

“I’m refusing to be a rubber stamp,” said Alderwoman Jackie Gist, refusing to approve measures to stay in line with federal regulations on cell towers before hearing discussion.