Town Talk

Carrboro Board of Aldermen considers more affordable housing

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen took a step towards putting more affordable housing in the area during their meeting Tuesday.

The Community Home Trust, a nonprofit organization for affordable housing, presented their charter to the Aldermen looking for a financial agreement from the town. 

“Having an agreement is extraordinarily important,” said executive director Robert Dowling. 

The organization needs money because it is currently running an $80,000 deficit, which Dowling said will be a major problem without financial support from the town.

Dowling presented a charter to the aldermen. They did not vote on the issue, but gave Dowling feedback about his proposal.

The aldermen showed support for continuing a relationship with the organization, but raised concerns about some of the language in the charter Dowling presented.

Alderman Randee Haven-O’Donnell said she was worried approving the charter was not specific enough and could lock the board into paying unspecified amounts of money endlessly. 

“I think it’s important not to have a sense that it’s an open ended vessel,” Haven-O’Donnell said.

Alderman Bethany Chaney said she would be more comfortable with a proposal that could be addressed on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. 

Michael B. Brough, Carrboro town attorney, said the aldermen would not be legally able to sign an agreement committing future aldermen to spending any amount of money. 

“We very much appreciate your support,” Dowling said. “We are more than happy to work out the details with your attorneys and staff.”

Notable:

The board recognized two different holidays — Optimist International Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, which celebrates the work of Optimist International, and Trails Day in Carrboro, set for June 7, where residents are encouraged to go outside and enjoy walking trails in the area. 

Quotable:

The aldermen celebrated the efforts of the Chapel Hill High School women’s soccer team, which won the state championship over Weddington High School 2-1.

“This board is extremely proud of these student athletes’ accomplishment,” said Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle.