Town Talk

Humans of Chapel Hill for Sept. 29

Daily Tar Heel staff writer Mengqi Jiang sat down with Cole Blaugher, an aspiring baker who just moved to the Triangle from Maryland, for Town Talk’s weekly Humans of Chapel Hill feature.

To view the original Humans of New York blog, see here.

What has been the happiest moment in your life so far?

I graduated this May with a bachelor's degree. I graduated from St. John's College. I just moved down here from Annapolis, Maryland.

Why did you move here?

My girlfriend is working for a doctor in Chapel Hill as a receptionist. I am trying to find work in kitchens and bakerys. Hopefully somewhere in the Triangle.

What is your plan?

Figuring out what the next step is. I’ve spent all of my life with very set schedules or goals. I am in the point where I really like to say setting my own roles. My attitude in general is seeing what happens and figuring out how to feel happy with what is going on in my life. I just want to feel comfortable at one place and do something that I like. That seems important. Just keep doing it.

What has been the saddest moment in your life?

When I was 16 years old, my grandmother was dying. But the day she finally died, I didn’t get to see her. I just heard about it. That's pretty sad. I think I was probably at school. I felt ashamed but I did not really get to say goodbye. I was very uncomfortable talking about it. I am still doing the things she taught me.  Be a kind and honest person.

When was the last time you tried something new?

I tried eels.

When?

June. In a sushi restaurant in Annapolis. It was delicious. I was not expecting it to be that good.