Town Talk

Adoptable Dogs of the Week: Ariana and Midler

Staff writer Maggie Monsrud volunteers at the Orange County Animal Shelter. Each week, she will write about a dog at the shelter who's up for adoption. You can visit the shelter's website here and see last week's post here.

Meet Ariana!

Breed: Pit Bull Terrier mix

Gender: Female

Age: 2 years old

I am a huge fan of pit bulls. I hate that they have such a bad reputation. The negative stereotype surrounding this breed incorrectly represents how loyal and loving these dogs truly are. Ariana is an accurate representation of how pit bulls behave. She is obedient, kind and oh… did I mention super sweet?

She smothered me with her love. I sat down on the floor and she immediately came over to me, rolling over onto her back and wagging her tail, just waiting for me to scratch her stomach. Nothing makes a person feel happier than having a dog crave your love, and I’m sure any dog lover will agree with me on that.

I had the honor of bathing Ariana, and I can’t say she enjoyed the water all that much, but I don’t blame her. There are times I wish I didn’t have to take a shower. Afterwards when I went to clip her nails, she was so well behaved and sat there wagging her tail.

Because I had trouble deciding on just one dog, and because there are so many dogs at the shelter who are ready to be adopted by a loving family, I also present you with Midler.

Breed: Black Labrador Retriever and Beagle mix

Gender: Female

Age: 15 years

Yes, that is not a typo; Midler is 15 years old. She is the oldest dog I have seen at the shelter thus far, and it absolutely breaks my heart. Dogs her age should be spending their days lounging away in their family’s living room, not sitting in a shelter waiting to be adopted.

I’ll just go ahead and say it: old dogs are awesome. And here’s why: they are wiser beyond their years, they are potty trained, they are laid back and are typically low maintenance, and they just want to be loved.

Midler is extremely shy, but after a simple sniff of my hand, she was walking over to me, wanting me to pet her. She is such a calm dog. Her calmness washed over me and in that small instance I forgot about all of the stress and homework I had waiting for me back at UNC. She is such good dog, and deserves to spend her remaining years with a caring family. I would easily adopt her if I didn’t live in a dorm.

So don’t even hesitate. Come to Orange County Animal Shelter and meet these two lovely K-9’s for yourself.

IMG_9387 IMG_9240

You can find Midler’s adoption information here and Ariana’s adoption information here.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition