Town Talk

Adoptable Dog of the Week: Sugar

Staff writer Maggie Monsrud volunteers at the Orange County Animal Shelter. Each week, she will write about a dog at the shelter who's up for adoption. You can visit the shelter's website here and see last week's post here.

Meet this adorable bundle of joy, Sugar.

Breed: Chihuahua

Gender: Female

Age: 5 years old

Small dogs aren’t very common at OCAS, so when I saw Sugar I immediately gravitated towards her. I have a special place in my heart for chihuahuas because I was raised around them. I can confidently disprove the stereotype that all chihuahuas are loud, annoying little balls of energy. My own chihuahua never barks and is incredibly sweet to everyone.

Sugar is also a very calm dog. She’s a little timid at first, but after she smells you and you pet her for a few minutes, she doesn’t want to leave you alone. Whenever I would stop petting her, she’d paw at me, begging for more love. And as I mentioned, she’s a very relaxed dog, as demonstrated by these pictures:

Chihuahuas are perfect for any aspiring dog owner, even college students, because they are so small and low-maintenance, which makes them perfect for apartment settings. Plus, since Sugar’s already five, she’s well-trained and easy to manage.

If you’re interested in adopting Sugar, please visit her OCAS web page here, then pay her a visit at the shelter and see for yourself just how chill and loving she is.