Town Talk

Local animal shelter encourages fitness to raise money for homeless pets

The Paws4Ever animal shelter is calling on all North Carolinians to get in shape while helping animals by participating in their new Fit4Fido program. 

The goal is for participants to exercise a combined 158,225 hours, a number equal to the amount of animals euthanized in North Carolina in 2013, and all the while raising money for the animal shelter, said Paws4Ever Executive Director Laura Griest. 

"It is hard to get really excited about fitness without a goal," Griest said. "There are a lot of people out there who may want to attach something significant to their fitness to stay motivated, and this gives them the opportunity." 

Paws4Ever is an animal shelter located in Mebane committed to keeping animals in a healthy environment. With 50 acres of space, the animals have plenty of land to stay fit and engaged, but that kind of care costs money, Griest said. 

The shelter can hold 60 cats and 18 dogs, but does so at a cost of $190 per animal per month, she said.

"Animal shelters around the state have to be open intake, and they are really doing all that they can to support animals, but there is a limit to what they can do with their resources," she said. "Animal welfare really lies with all of us." 

Participants who sign up online will be able to log their fitness hours and donate money through the website. Fit4Fido will host fitness events like hiking or yoga classes and declare fitness winners every month based on that month's goal. 

Goals can range from the most hours logged to the most stories shared on social media every month. 

Prizes are available to monthly winners to allow participants of all fitness levels to stay engaged, Griest said. 

While the program is currently small, Griest hopes be able to raise $30,000 for homeless pets.

To kick off the program, Franklin Street Yoga partnered with Fit4Fido and offered free yoga classes to participants for the month of February. 

"Our way of giving back to the community is to partner with a non-profit every month," Franklin Street Yoga owner Lori Burgwyn said. "I approached them to get involved and help with this campaign." 

Roughly 25 people that were a part of the Fit4Fido organization came in for the free yoga classes in February, but that number would likely have been higher if not for the snow, Burgwyn said. 

Pittsboro resident Louise McDonald said she thinks the program is a great idea. 

"People don't really realize how high the number of animals euthanized each year actually is," she said. "When there is something a little more concrete next to it like hours exercising then the number becomes less abstract and can help reign it in to raise awareness." 

McDonald, who grew up with two rescue dogs, hopes that the program will be successful. 

"There's no better love than rescue dog love," she said.