Town Talk

Council discusses redevelopment of Chapel Hill fire station

Council members George Cianciolo, Ed Harrison, Sally Greene, and Mayor  Mark Kleinschmidt discuss the agenda for the meeting.
Buy Photos Council members George Cianciolo, Ed Harrison, Sally Greene, and Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt discuss the agenda for the meeting.

Last fall, the Chapel Hill Town Council deemed the fire station at 1003 Hamilton Road underdeveloped and sought a private development partner to redevelop this property. 

East West Partners Management Company, Inc. was the only firm to submit a proposal for the site redevelopment. The plan for the property is to construct a multi-story building with the fire station on the ground floor. 

East West Partners is seeking a hard cap of $500,000 in funds from the town.

The new fire station would produce $42,000 annually in tax revenue, said Roger Perry, president of East West Partners. 

At tonight's meeting, East West Partners was seeking for the town council to authorize the town manager to negotiate and execute amendments to a memorandum of understanding.

However, council members were split on the proposal.

"I would like to see (town funds) lower than $500,000," said Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt. 

Councilwoman Maria Palmer said her concern was with station's ability to meet the needs of the town.

"We need to build the best fire station to meet the needs of this rapidly growing town," said Palmer.

Councilman George Cianciolo said tax revenues would help to offset the funds provided by the town.

"Delays are opportunities lost," said Cianciolo. "It won't be $500,000, but rather $416,000."

There was even talk of scrapping the proposal altogether and going with another proposal that wouldn't need as much money from the town. However, this requires that the whole process starts all over again.

"You're looking at 18 months if you decide to switch proposals," Perry said. "In six months, we can come back to you with a hard proposal."

Councilman Jim Ward said he supported the redevelopment proposal. 

"I think we should move forward with the current applicant," said Councilman Jim Ward. "We should have more than a basic 21st century fire station."

The authorization was passed with a vote of 7 to 1.

Notable

In November, Chapel Hill citizens will have the opportunity to vote on five bonds totaled at $40.3 million. 

Quotable

"I'm glad we take time to do things," said Councilman Ed Harrison.

@shantangerine