Town Talk

All up in your business for Nov. 11, 2015

Franklin Street welcomes Moe’s

Moe’s Southwest Grill is finally making its way to hungry UNC students with its new location on 110 W. Franklin Street, which will have its grand opening Thursday.

Jennifer Wade, owner of the new franchise, said there will be promotions on the opening day and afterward. For the first 100 people in line for their grand opening, the reward will be free burritos for a year.

“We’re hoping to see a big crowd,” Wade said. “All day there will be a big celebration, and we’ll be doing giveaways all day. There will be free T-shirts, prizes and koozies.”

Wade said starting on Friday, customers can text Moe’s 0352 to 81018 to get a text for a free burrito.

“Our goal is to get a burrito in everyone’s hand,” Wade said. “We want to welcome everybody in.”

Wade said the goal with this Moe’s was to make the restaurant into more than just a place to eat. The restaurant has plenty of seating and three big-screen TVs. There are also outlets for plugging in laptops or other devices.

“We turned it into more than just a burrito joint, it’s also a gathering place,” Wade said.

New app comes to Chapel Hill

Pinser is the newest player in the world of social media apps, and it’s coming to Chapel Hill this Friday.

Co-founders of Pinser, Kevin Lance, Matt Weaver and Alisha Nazari, said Pinser allows people to discover what’s happening around them through short video clips. 

Lance said anyone using Pinser can record an event and post it for those within a 40-mile radius to see where the events are happening. Upon touching a pin from the map, users can look at videos posted at that location.

“We have a ‘Take Me Here’ function,” Lance said. “If you see something really cool, hit ‘Take Me Here’ and it’ll give you walking directions to get to that event.”

Lance said all content on Pinser expires after a week, so information on the app is always up to date.

“All the content is submitted by users, meaning we don’t review it or choose what goes up,” Lance said.

Lance assured the location-based nature of Pinser will hold those who post bad content responsible.

“Whatever people post, their location is marked,” Lance said. “There is up-voting and down-voting, and reporting for bad content.” 

Rent Like a Champion reaches UNC

Fresh from ABC’s “Shark Tank,” Rent Like a Champion is expanding its market into Chapel Hill.

The business connects people with a weekend rental home near their favorite college campus. CEO Mike Doyle said homeowners near colleges leave for 48 hours and rent out their homes for the weekend during college campus events such as football games or graduations.

Doyle said when the company originally started, the business was different than their current model.

“It started as a student housing company, and we were buying homes near campus,” Doyle said. 

Doyle said the business now focuses on providing a much better weekend experience. Instead of renting multiple hotel rooms, groups can rent a home.

“The closer to campus the house is, the better chance it’ll get rented,” Doyle said. “Within 10 miles of the campus is a good fit.”

Because of the popularity of its basketball season, UNC is next up on the company’s list.

“The Tar Heels have a rabid fan base that’s coming back for games,” Doyle said.