Town Talk

Martin Luther King Jr. Park and Carrboro library plans set in motion

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen meeting Tuesday focused on several projects for additions to the town, including Southern Branch Library and Martin Luther King Jr. Park.

The proposed site for the Southern Branch Library is 203 S. Greensboro St. in the middle of downtown Carrboro. The Planning Director for the town of Carrboro, Trish McGuire, said town ownership of this library seems preferable.

At the meeting, several residents spoke out about their concerns that the Southern Branch Library project is taking too long to move forward. Board members Randee Haven-O'Donnell, Bethany Chaney and Sammy Slade all voiced the same concern.

“I’m with Randee in wanting some kind of timeline with the steps that we know need to happen,” Chaney said. “What I want to see in a timeline is enough certainty that we can commit to it.”

Next, the board discussed the Carrboro Vision2020 document that encompasses a number of issues, one of which is the pedestrian safety concern. Carrboro resident Patrick McDonough said he supports more sidewalks being built to increase pedestrian safety in the town.

McDonough also commented that Vision2020 is taking a long time, and board member Damon Seils agreed.

“We’ve had this vision document for many years,” Seils said. “I’m not sure it would be very satisfying for us to end up with just another vision document at the end of this.”

With that, the board unanimously voted to send the Vision2020 document back to the advisory board with feedback.

Carrboro is also planning to build an exciting new park named after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The park is still in the design phase, but so far is set to include an amphitheater, a wetlands area, bike racks and accommodations for parking needs.

Disagreement arose between board members Slade and Haven-O’Donnell when Slade suggested the wetlands area be transformed into a pond instead.

“It’s just such a natural place for people to explore nature, to dip their feet into a pond,” Slade said. “I think it would be a really valuable thing.”

However, Haven-O’Donnell said putting a pond into the park is a major concern because a lot of very young children live near the area of the proposed park, creating a clear safety hazard.

Despite some disagreement, one thing everyone could agree on was that the park should find some way to commemorate Dr. King. 

Ideas to do this included an annual celebration with food and music to celebrate his memory, or a plaque with the Dr. King quote: “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, what are you doing to help others?”

Chaney said the NAACP Youth Council should be asked to help come up with ideas to honor Dr. King at the park.

“The number one thing for me is let’s make sure this park really does honor Dr. King and in big ways,” Chaney said. “I’d love to see what else we can come up with.”

The board agreed the park will continue to be designed and improved.

Notable:

Chaney wants to keep the park unprogrammed so it’s never closed off to the public, especially the youth of the town. Chaney said the park needs to serve youth.

Quoteable:

“The sooner the better to get the poop bag dispensers out there for the dogs,” Haven-O’Donnell said.

@alexisallston