View from the Hill

North Carolina delegation reacts to government shutdown

As the government shutdown drags on for the second day, North Carolina is feeling the effects as federal agencies in the state furlough workers, and research universities brace an for impact to research. But what have North Carolina’s U.S. Congressmen and Senators said about the shutdown?

Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C. voted to prevent the government from shutting down. She released a statement that called the shutdown “political games.”

Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., had called the idea of a government shutdown “the dumbest idea (he has) ever heard.” He shut down his website after the government shutdown with this statement.

“My colleagues and I are working to resolve this matter as soon as possible,” the website read.

Orange County’s Rep. David Price, D-N.C. released several statements after the government shutdown, urging Republicans in the U.S. Congress to fund the government and end the shutdown.

And Rep. Renee Ellmers, R-N.C., said in a statement that she had wanted to “shutdown Obamacare, not the federal government.” She blamed President Barack Obama for the shutdown, pointing to the painful effects it is having on Fort Bragg.

Check out the statements from North Carolina’s other U.S. Congressmen and women:
Rep. G.K. Butterfield, D-N.C.
Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C.
Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C.
Rep. Howard Coble, R-N.C.
Rep. Mike McIntyre, D-N.C.
Rep. Richard Hudson, R-N.C.
Rep. Robert Pittenger, R-N.C.
Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C.
Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C.
Rep. George Holding, R-N.C.

Rep. Mel Watt, D-N.C., didn’t have a statement immediately available.