View from the Hill

Study shows North Carolina highest among early voting

Clarification: A previous version said The Brennan Center is affiliated with New York University. It is affiliated with New York University School of Law.

A study by the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law. showed North Carolina had one of the highest rates of early voting in the county.

The study showed 55.8 percent of voters used early voting in 2008 and 56.3 used it in 2012, making it one of the top nine states for early voting.

North Carolina recently passed a law limiting the amount early voting days to 10 from 17, less than the two full weeks the study recommended.

Similarly, the study showed the increase of minority voters utilizing early voting, with 41 percent of African American voters in the South voting early.

When the U.S. Department of Justice filed its lawsuit against North Carolina in September, it showed 71 percent of African American voters using early voting in both 2008 and 2012.

Early voting also tends to have more support than other measures in the state’s voter law. A poll by Elon University showed that while 70 percent of North Carolinians support voter identification, 51 percent disapprove of reducing the number of early voting days.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.