View from the Hill

Roy Williams encourages fans to get insured

UNC Head Basketball Coach Roy Williams is used to motivating players on the court, and now he’s using some of that influence to encourage people to sign up for health insurance.

In a video posted on the White House’s website, Williams and University of Connecticut head basketball coach Geno Auriemma encourage basketball fans to sign up for health care through the Affordable Care Act’s health care marketplace.

“You only got ‘til March 31st,” Williams said in the video. “Beat the buzzer.”

In addition, Williams and Auriemma encourage people to head to a page on the White House website where they can vote for the top .GIF images of the Sweet Sixteen reasons to sign up for health insurance.

Not only are Williams and Auriemma rivals on the court, but their home states differ in terms of health care policy.

Connecticut’s health care marketplace is run by its state government and expanded Medicaid eligibility.

North Carolina’s marketplace is run through the federal government and its state legislature did not expand Medicaid eligibility.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.