View from the Hill

Breaking down Marco Rubio's higher ed investment plan

Last week, Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla, announced a new proposal to help students finance higher education with the help of private financiers.

Rubio announced the Student Success Act with Rep. Tom Petri, R-Wis., which would allow for individuals or organizations to finance a students' college education, with students making repayments based on income after graduation.

“Allowing private investment groups to invest directly in an individual student is an alternative to student loans that helps make higher education more affordable and more accessible,” Rubio said in a statement.

This is not the first time Rubio has put together new proposals to address higher education. 

Last year, Rubio teamed up with a bipartisan coalition of members of Congress to propose the Know Before You Go Act, which would allow students and families to learn about college graduation rates for non-traditional students, transfer rates, student debt and employment outcomes.

While Rubio, often seen as a potential presidential candidate in 2016, might be genuinely interested in promoting college affordability, the proposals could also help him with his political future.

In a study released last year put together by the Republican Party showed many the trouble the party faces appealing to younger voters on issues they care about.

But by proposing an alternative method for financing higher education, Rubio could be trying to show young voters he is working on proposals to improve their futures and could improve his conservative credentials by offering alternatives to government financing of college.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.