View from the Hill

Off to the Races: Tillis gets help from establishment

With the Republican primary looming, N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis is receiving help from outside establishment organizations.

A new advertisement began airing in the state criticizing Sen. Kay Hagan's support for the Affordable Care Act and the Obama Administration while praising Tillis' record as speaker.

The ad ends by saying Tillis stands for North Carolina values. But reports by the Federal Election Commission show that the ads were created by American Crossroads, a Washington-based independent expenditure organization that was founded by former Bush advisor Karl Rove. 

A poll last month by Public Policy Polling showed Tillis tied with Tea Party favorite Greg Brannon, which is a likely reason for American Crossroads spending more than $290,000 on the campaign.

But Brannon supporters hit back on the pro-Tillis ad. Matt Kibbe, president and CEO of Freedomworks, which supports Brannon, tweeted his opposition.

But Kibbe's tweet is not without irony, since the same FEC report on independent expenditures show Freedomworks has been organizing for Brannon in the state.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.