View from the Hill

Profile: Retired physician Edward Kryn focuses on health care

This is the twelfth in a series of profiles on the 2014 U.S. Senate Candidates on View from the Hill. Links to previous profiles are at the end of this post.

Edward Kryn, a retired physician living in Clayton, N.C., is one of seven candidates running for U.S. Senate in the Republican primary.

After practicing medicine in Canada under a socialized program and in the United States, Kryn said he does not support the Affordable Care Act.

“I decided to run to represent North Carolina because there has been an assault on religious liberty,” Kryn said in an interview. “This started in our schools and now has been extended to the workplace through the Affordable Care Act.”

Kryn said the Affordable Care Act coerces people into buying a product they may not want or need and denies religious liberty to employers. Meanwhile, he said the incentive to develop new forms of therapy will be lost.

“With doctors and hospitals having to cope with these drug shortages, patient care is put at risk,” Kryn said.

His desire to maintain individual liberty for the people of North Carolina also extends to education.

“The federal government should not be involved in education,” he said. “By returning control of education to parents and school teachers in the state, we have an opportunity for taxpayer savings.”

Kryn said he is also pro-life and believes abortion has harmed society, leaving more lasting effects than some may realize.

“We have lost many creative minds through abortion,” he said. “America is a country that has led the world in new discoveries. We cannot afford to lose any creative minds that would contribute to our ability to compete in the internal marketplace.”

Kryn champions less government intervention in almost all aspects of life and said he favors tax structures that remove the economic insecurity holding back family growth and lower taxes on businesses.

“We need to lower the unemployment rate,” he said. “Unlocking our energy resources in this state would be one way to allow families to have access to high paying jobs that would make North Carolina more competitive in bringing back employers who have gone to other countries in recent years.”

Kryn said he supports family values and promoting family as the cornerstone of the community.

He entered the senate race fairly late and has only been campaigning since February. With seven other candidates in the race and little campaign money to speak of, it isn’t likely Kryn will win the GOP nomination.

Kryn polled at one percent as of May 5, according to Public Policy Polling.

View from the Hill is a political blog by Daily Tar Heel staff writers. Any opinion expressed in it does not represent the Daily Tar Heel. Email the blog coordinator at dthviewfromthehill@gmail.com.